Skip to main content

This is Halloween

For a long time Jeremy and I debated as to what we were going to be for Halloween;  finally one night we saw a picture of some kids dressed up a YipYips from Sesame Street. Once Jeremy saw the picture he said, “I NEED to be that for Halloween.” So he asked me to make the YipYip costume.
Now, just because my grandmother is an amazing seamstress does not mean that I inherited those wonderfully skilled genes, and to be completely honest, I put off making them as long as I possibly could (which doesn’t quite make sense, since I was worried about how they would turn out I should have worked on them over a long period of time to ensure they looked great). Anyhow, I didn’t have a pattern or anything, so I had no idea how much fabric to buy, or how to cut a hole for the mouth, my sewing machine doesn’t work so I had to sew everything by hand, and how the heck do you get pipe cleaner to stand up when attached to a flimsy piece of fabric? You get the picture, lots of questions about things I have no idea how to do. But I just sat down and thought, well we’ll need to be able to see, so the mouth should start above our eyes. And since the bottom lip gets pulled up and down we should put more fabric in the front to account for that, etc. In the end, deductive reasoning really works when it comes to sewing basic things.




I think they turned out pretty awesome for a first time project. It has inspired me to try other sewing projects (once my sewing machine starts working). I really had a lot of fun creating them, and its awesome to be able to say, “I made that.” It is such a wonderful feeling of creater-ownership pride.
I guess you could say I’m on this creative kick right now, because when I bought the supplies to make the YipYips I also bought supplies to start crocheting. This has been one source of entertainment for me when I’m home alone and all my homework completed. So far I have only been learning different stitches and then pulling them out to learn another stitch (why waste the yarn). Once I master a few different stitches I intend to make a scarf, and if I get it done in time (and if it turns out) I’ll be able to gift it for Christmas! *crosses fingers* Hopefully I’ll learn enough to be able to make our very own Christmas stockings :) but if not, then there is always next year.
Anyhow, our celebration of Halloween has been fun, now to wait for the little kiddos to come by trick-or-treating tonight!





Popular posts from this blog

Maine

Dear Family and Friends, We're sorry we're terrible at keeping everyone up-to-date on our lives. We are in the busiest stage of our lives thus far. Jeremy is really putting in the time and effort to develop his skills to become the best dentist he can be. He comes home both physically and mentally tired, but invigorated about what he's doing. As his wife, it's so inspiring to hear him talk about his passion, and to see him so engaged in his work (studies).  Chloe is growing incredibly fast. Not height-wise (she didn't hit the gene jackpot there), but her motor- and verbal- skills are expanding rapidly at this age. She's 21 months old today. We stopped counting how many words she could say around 16 months. At her 18 month appointment her doctor said she was speaking like a 2year old; and it's only kept growing. She regularly speaks in 3-4 word sentences, and loves repeating our dinner prayers (I still have yet to be sneaky enough to get it on cam...

10 Years Mormon

I can't believe it's been ten years! Since being baptized my life has been drastically different. When I describe my teenage life people often don't believe me - because it is honestly light years away from where I am today. As I reflect on this monumental decision from my past I realize that everything that has happened since is because I had the courage to hope in good things to come, to hope in Christ, and to hope I could become something and someone more. Hope is powerful! My journey of faith, over the past ten years, overall, has been relatively easy. I have been very lucky. Many of my trials have come from the ways that my E.G.O (Edging God Out) slips into the crevices of my life. Turns out ego and faith don't mix all too well. I often find myself turning to God simply because I've been stubborn and like to think that I'm capable and independent. It's a very humbling experience to have to turn to Him multiple times each day to ask for help with th...

A little catch up

Holy Mole! It’s been like 2.5 months since I’ve last posted!!!! Somehow I feel like I have a million things to share and yet nothing at all. Went to California for Andy and Katelyn’s wedding Went to St. George for Jeremy’s cousin’s wedding (Brandon & Crystal) Raced legit go-carts (we had to wear gear and take a mini-driving lesson) Rocked mini-golfing Jeremy got yet ANOTHER promotion! He is now the Home Theater and Appliances Supervisor I started my internship with United Way in their Help Me Grow department, and I am loving it! I belted up another level at work! AND I’m getting all set-up to work from home now that I actually have an office. With all the crazy things I’m doing as far as school, work, and my internship go, Jeremy is becoming quite the helper. We made new friends (Jillian and Walker). We play a LOT of Betrayal of House on the Hill & Hand and Foot That’s about it. If I think of anything else I will be sure to post it.